WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- Fill an inverted glass cylinder with hydrogen. Because hydrogen is lighter than air, it will stay in the cylinder.
- Secure a piece of paper soaked in petrol in the cylinder.
- Connect a tube with an igniter on the end to a balloon with oxygen.
- Insert the tube into the cylinder, open an oxygen feed and quickly ignite it.
- Try to ignite the paper with this flame. Paper burns only directly in the flame, but if you remove the flame the paper stops burning.