WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- Take a small amount of potassium chlorate and grind it in the ceramic pounder. You should use clean and dry instruments.
- Take a small amount of sugar or glucose and grind it in the other ceramic pounder. Use 2 different pounders! Or you can take powdered sugar or starch from your kitchen.
- Mix potassium chlorate and sugar in ratio 1:1.
- Put the mixture on the refractory plate and form a pile with a pit from it.
- Take a glass rod and touch the concentrated solution of sulfuric acid with the end of the rod. Be careful with sulfuric acid!
- Touch the pit in the mixture with the end of the rod. Keep a safe distance! It is a very rough, hot and loud reaction. Be careful and keep calm!