Separation of substances in the column
name: The substances pass through the column at different rates. First, the concentration of exhaust substances increases and then decreases.
Column chromatography demonstration
Isolation of Plant Pigments by Column Chromatography - Amrita University
by Amrita Vlab
Wear eye protection goggles.
Always follow general safety
recommendations. Please note that conducting chemistry
experiments you must comply with the relevant legal procedures in
- Take a piece of cotton wool and insert into the coloumn (towards outlet).
- Fix the column to the clamp.
- Pour in a small bed of sea sand.
- Add enough solvent (usually lower polar solvent).
- Pour silica slurry slowly into the column while stirring.
- Rinse the column wall to remove adsorbed silica.
- Mark the silica level and gently tap with cork rings (or hand or soft materials)
- Dissolve the sample and put a little silica. Dry it with a rotary evaporator.
- Pour dry sample slowly and rinse the wall.
- Put a little sand on top of the sample.
- Collect the fractions.
Separation of multicomponent mixtures into a series of binary mixtures with a liquid and one of the separating components takes place in a chromatography column. Separation can occur due to the formation of temporary bonds between the separating substances and the stationary phase of column (adsorption chromatography), or due to other principles (e.g. size exclusion chromatography).