WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- Obtain chlorine gas. There are many different ways, one of which is shown in the first link.
- Collect chlorine gas into a chemical cylinder.
- Heat the iron wire (or iron wool) over a gas burner or alcohol lamp.
- Quickly add the glowing hot wire into the cylinder with chlorine.
- Watch the cylinder fill with yellow-brown smoke.