WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- Obtain chlorine gas. There are many different ways.
- Collect chlorine gas into a chemical cylinder or test tube.
- Quickly add potassium into the cylinder with chlorine.
- Heat the pieces of potassium through the glass over a gas burner or alcohol lamp.
- Watch the cylinder fill with white smoke.