The cylinder is filled with white smoke after adding sodium
name: Sodium oxidation with chlorine
Chemistry experiment 27 - Reaction between sodium metal and chlorine gas
Reaction of Sodium with Chlorine (subtitled)
Alkali Metals - 22 Reaction between sodium and chlorine
Reaction of sodium and chlorine
Reaction of SODIUM and CHLORINE
Wear eye protection goggles. Work with poisonous gases only outdoors or in a hood.
Always follow general safety
recommendations. Please note that conducting chemistry
experiments you must comply with the relevant legal procedures in
- Obtain chlorine gas. There are many different ways.
- Collect chlorine gas into a chemical cylinder or test tube.
- Quickly add sodium into the cylinder with chlorine.
- Heat the pieces of sodium through the glass over a gas burner or alcohol lamp.
- Watch the cylinder fill with white smoke.
Chlorine gas is a strong oxidant. Metallic sodium is oxidized to sodium chloride, which forms the smoke. The interfacial reaction takes place very slowly, so heating is necessary.