The water level rises up as the candle burns.
name: Oxygen supports burning. Water occupies the vacant volume.
CSAV Hawaii: Best Science Magic Trick Candle & Water
Under Water Candle - Cool Science Experiment | Mocomi Kids
Wear eye protection goggles.
Always follow general safety
recommendations. Please note that conducting chemistry
experiments you must comply with the relevant legal procedures in
C25H52 + 38O2 → 25CO2 + 26H2O
- In this experiment the volume proportion of oxygen in air is determined.
- Put a floating candle into a beaker partially filled with water.
- Light the candle.
- Cover the floating candle with a graduated cylinder.
- The water level rises up as the candle burns.
- When candle goes out mark the level on which the water rose up.
Oxygen supports burning. Till there is some oxygen inside the cylinder the candle burns. Oxygen is consumed during combustion and water occupies the vacant volume. This volume corresponds to the volume fraction of oxygen in air. When the candle goes out the water will reach the mark of one fifth of the cylinder volume. Indeed the air we breathe consists of two main components. They are 21 % of oxygen and 79% of nitrogen.