WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- Weigh out 2 grams of iodine crystals. Grind them in a mortar.
- Pour 60 ml of aqueous ammonia (about 30%) in a beaker
- Add iodine crystals to aqueous ammonia with stirring.
- Pass the resulting mixture through a piece of filter paper.
- Dry the filter paper with the precipitate.
- Hit the dried paper with a hammer.
- Observe the explosion with release of purple iodine vapor.