WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- Perform this experiment outside or in a fume hood. Wear gloves.
- To obtain fluorescein you need to prepare 166 mg of phallic anhydride and 220 mg of resorcinol.
- Place the chemicals into a small beaker.
- Add 3 drops of concentrated sulfuric acid.
- Stirring the substances with a thin glass rod heat the beaker gently until the mixture turns dark red. Keep heating at about 200°C for a 5 min. Then turn off heating and let the product cool down to room temperature.
- To prepare concentrated water solution of fluorescein, add about 10 ml of water into the beaker.
- Since fluorescein is not very soluble in water I at neutral pH add about 300 mg of sodium hydroxide.
- To test fluorescent properties of synthesized substance turn on a source of ultraviolet light and put a few drops of the obtained solution into a large beaker filled with water.
- Glowing yellow-green waves spread along the solute.