WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- Pour 7 mL of concentrated nitric acid into a test tube.
- Add 7 g of mercury into the test tube.
- After about 20 minutes, the mercury should be completely dissolved. The solution, thus, becomes yellow.
- Pour 10 ml of ethanol in a vial.
- Pour the contents of the test tube into the vial.
- After a while, the solution should boil. The reaction is complete after the boiling stops.
- Dilute the resulting mixture with water. Wait for the precipitate to settle down.
- Wash the precipitate with water several times.
- Transfer the substance together with the water into the container for storage.
- Take a small portion of the substance, dry it on paper, then, hit it with a hammer.
- Observe the explosion.