WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- To prepare a smoke bomb you need potassium nitrate and sugar (or sorbitol, glucose). The result mixture should contain 3 parts of potassium nitrate and 2 parts of sugar. Weight out the components and mix them in given proportion.
- Place a metal bowl on an oil bath.
- Pour reagents into the bowl.
- Heat the mixture gently. Stir it using a wooden spoon. Keep on heating and stirring until the mixture turns to a caramel-like mass.
- Turn off heating. Put the mass with a wooden spoon on top of aluminum foil.
- Place a piece of magnesium ribbon as a fuse.
- Mold the mass into desired shape using aluminum foil as a wrap.
- After a while the mass will cool down and become hard. Put off the foil. The smoke bomb is ready for use.
- Set the smoke bomb in a safe place away from any flammable material. Light the ribbon and stand back.
- The smoke bomb produces some flame and a huge amount of smoke.