WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- Since nitrogen dioxide is a hazardous gas, this experiment must be performed only in a fume hood.
- Prepare the test tube. Put the stand into the fume hood.
- Cool down the test tube.
- Put the test tube on the stand.
- Fill the test tube with nitrogen dioxide.
- Add a few drops of aniline to the test tube. Use a long pipette.
- Aniline reacts spontaneously and generates lots of smoke and fire.