WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- Mix together the iron(III) oxide and aluminum powder in a ratio of 80:27 by weight. Take 16 g of ferric oxide and 5.4 g of aluminum powder. Mix thoroughly.
- Place the resulting mixture into a strong container such as a flowerpot.
- Fix the pot in a stand, put several layers of iron underneath it and put a fireproof bottom for whole system such as a concrete block.
- Insert the magnesium stripe into the reaction mixture and ignite.
- Watch the formation of the melt flowing through the metal sheets.