How to make a standard solution of a solid substance
name: Technique of standard solution preparation
Preparing standard sodium carbonate solution
Wear lab goggles and gloves.
Always follow general safety
recommendations. Please note that conducting chemistry
experiments you must comply with the relevant legal procedures in
- Accurately weight a substance for dissolving using a watch glass or a beaker (both must be clean and dry).
- Carefully pour the solid into a volumetric flask. You may use a lab funnel to avoid spilling the substance.
- Half fill the flask with water and accurately stir it. Do not turn over the flask.
- Fill the flask with water until it is up to the ring graduation marking. The bottom of the water meniscus should be on the same level as the ring.
- Close the flask with a stopper and turn over the flask several times to complete mixing.
This method of standard solution preparation is commonly used. Accuracy of preparation depends on the accuracy of preliminary calculation of substance mass, its purity and filling the flask. Concentration of the substance should be confirmed (i.e. using titration).