WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- Prepare a strong plastic bottle of 0.3-0.5 l volume.
- Measure its exact volume using water and a measuring cylinder.
- Divide the bottle volume into 3 parts. Pour the volume of water equal to 1/3 of bottle volume.
- Mark the water level with a waterproof marker.
- Fill the whole volume of the bottle with water.
- Prepare a large bowl filled with water.
- Place the bottle into the bowl and lower it under the water keeping its mouth downwards.
- Put the bottle upright.
- Put the gas delivery tube to the bottle neck.
- Fill the bottle with methane to the marked level. Gas will replace water from the bottle.
- Change the gas source. Fill the rest part of the bottle with oxygen.
- Carefully lift the bottle from the water still keeping it upside down.
- Seal the bottle with a cap.
- The rocket is ready for blast off! Place the rocket on the launch pad
- Remove the cap and light the gas mixture inside the bottle with a lighted splint.
- The gases react with a loud bang. The expanding hot gas pushes the rocket making it fly.