WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- Pour a few milliliters of concentrated sulfuric acid into a beaker.
- Place the beaker in a bowl with ice.
- While the sulfuric acid cools, prepare iodine-starch paper. For this, mix the solution of potassium iodide and the solution of starch. Moisten filter paper with the resulting solution.
- Add 1 spatula with barium peroxide in the cooled concentrated sulfuric acid.
- Observe the violent smoke emission. Insert the iodine-starch paper into the smoke. Observe its darkening.