WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- This experiment must be performed only in a fume hood.
- Prepare a round bottom flask.
- Fill it with an inert material to prevent overheating of the flask. Sand is a suitable material for this purpose.
- Add O2 gas to the flask.
- Put a small amount of white phosphorus into the flask.
- Heat the steel rod.
- The ignition temperature of phosphorous is 34oC. To heat it touch the piece of phosphorous with a hot steel rod.
- White phosphorous starts burning forming phosphorus oxide vapor.