WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- Pour a few milliliters of methanol into a large round-bottom flask.
- Heat a piece of platinum using a gas burner.
- Insert the heated piece of platinum into the flask.
- Observe the glowing of platinum pieces.
- If methanol vapor ignites, you need to blow out the flame. Observe the glowing of platinum again.