WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- Pour 0.5 gram of sodium azide to a test tube.
- Close the test tube with a stopper with a tap and fix it in a stand.
- The other end of the hose must be connected to a flask fitted with a stopper with a double tap.
- Fill a graduated cylinder with water and place it in an aquarium with water upside down.
- Connect the hose from the flask to the cylinder.
- Heat the sodium azide, using a gas burner.
- Observe how the cylinder fills with a large amount of gas.