WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- Weight out separately 5 g of potassium chlorate, 10 g of strontium nitrate and 5 g of sugar.
- Prepare a beaker.
- Place the potassium chlorate into the beaker.
- Add strontium nitrate to the potassium chlorate. Then add sugar. Follow the mixing order.
- Mix the components gently. Do not use a spatula.
- Empty the beaker on a ceramic plate and ignite it using a gas burner.
- Mixture burns with a red flame.