WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- Pour 3 g of Raney nickel into a beaker.
- Add 20 ml of the alkaline solution into the beaker.
- Heat the mixture, using a spirit lamp or a gas burner. Gas bubbles should form.
- After the end of gas releasing, leave the beaker to cool.
- Change the water above the precipitate several times.
- Wash the precipitate several times with alcohol.
- Transfer the nickel to filter paper.
- After a while, observe the burning of nickel and formation of sparks.