Freshly prepared silane reacts vigorously with oxygen
name: Preparation of magnesium silicide from magnesium and sand or silica in fusion for obtaining silane which is spontaneously flammable in air
How to make Magnesium Silicide and Explosive Silane Gas
by Nile Red
Preparation of Magnesium Silicide and Silane
Spontaneous Combustion: Silane Gas
by Nile Red
Chemical Reaction between Magnesium and Silica
Wear eye protection goggles. Open air or hood. Non-combustible materials must be around.
Always follow general safety
recommendations. Please note that conducting chemistry
experiments you must comply with the relevant legal procedures in
2 Mg + SiO2 → 2 MgO + Si
2 Mg + Si → Mg2Si
Mg2Si + H2O → Mg(OH)2 + SiH4
SiH4 + O2 → SiO2 + H2O
- Preparation of magnesium silicide. Put several grams of magnesium into a test tube.
- Add excess of sand to the test tube.
- Heat the test tube using a gas burner until the magnesium is melted and reacted with the sand.
- Cool the resulting mixture and pour it into water.
- Observe the vigorous combustion of silane in air.
Magnesium silicide undergoes a complete hydrolysis to form a very reactive gas - silane. Silicon in silane, which is in oxidation state -4 is a very strong reducing agent, whereby the material ignites spontaneously in air.