Rubbing fingers leads to the appearance of white smoke.
name: Mixture of phosphorous trioxide and white phosphorous is oxidized producing phosphorous pentoxide.
Magic Tricks Revealed: Smoking Fingers
How to do Smoking Fingers Trick
ДЫМ БЕЗ ОГНЯ - опыты с фосфором от спичечного коробка
How to Do the Smoking Fingers Trick
How to make smoke come out of your fingers Magic Trick
by VFX TIME
Wear eye protection goggles and gloves. Perform this experiment outside or in a fume hood.
Always follow general safety
recommendations. Please note that conducting chemistry
experiments you must comply with the relevant legal procedures in
4P(red) + 3O2 → P4O6
P(red) -(sublimation)→ P(white)
P4O6 + 2O2 → P4O10
4P + 5O2 → P4O10
- This experiment should be performed outside or in a fume hood. Wear gloves.
- Prepare a box of matches and a lighter.
- Cut out the striking surfaces of match box.
- Put the two striking surfaces together and place them into a fireproof tray. The Striking parts of the matchbox should be facing inside and the paper - outside.
- Light it up.
- When the matchbox pieces are burnt a brown substance is formed.
- Put the brown substance on your fingers (you should be in gloves!) and rub your fingers together.
- White smoke appears.
The striking surfaces of a match box contain red phosphorous. When it is burnt in the way described above the oxidation process does not proceed fully since the oxygen access is limited. Red phosphorous is partially oxidized to phosphorous trioxide and is partially sublimed and settles as more active (but very poisonous and dangerous) white phosphorous. White phosphorous and phosphorous trioxide reacts with oxygen of air giving phosphorous pentoxide. The observed white smoke consists of small particles of phosphorous pentoxide. The reaction is enhanced under heating caused by rubbing your fingers. The amount of smoke increases!