WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- Since sulfur dioxide is a hazardous gas, this experiment must be performed only outside or in a fume hood.
- Prepare a hermetically sealed flask and long deflagrating spoon.
- Fill the flask with oxygen.
- Fill the spoon with sulfur.
- Heat the spoon with a gas burner in order to facilitate sulfur ignition.
- Put the spoon into the flask.
- Sulfur burns with a blue flame producing sulfur dioxide.