WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- Put about 10g of copper sulfate into a beaker and dissolve it in 100 ml of hot water.
- Secure a graphite electrode (anode) and copper wire (cathode) in the beaker so that the electrodes don't touch each other.
- Connect the electrodes to a DC power supply (6V). A reaction on the electrodes starts, bubbles of oxygen are formed at the anode. The Graphite electrode dissolves bit by bit during the experiment and pieces of graphite form in the solution.
- Filter the solution. If it is blue colored, repeat electrolysis.
- When a colorless solution is obtained, boil down to concentrate the prepared sulfuric acid.
- Test sulfuric acid with litmus paper.