WARNING! This experiment is dangerous! You should NOT perform this at home. ONLY carry out this experiment, if you are a trained chemist, and you understand local safety and legal requirements, which are required to perform such experiments
- Put a small piece of white phosphorus in the test-tube with water.
- Pour some water in a glass and heat it.
- Place the test-tube with phosphorus in the glass to melt phosphorus. Periodically carefully shake the test tube (phosphorus mustn't contact with air!). Fully melt phosphorus.
- Connect a glass tube to an oxygen source (i.e. balloon with reducing valve).
- Place the glass tube into the test-tube so the end of tube is near the surface of phosphorus.
- Slowly bubble oxygen through the water.